Not only do I love to fish for halibut here in Alaska, I love discovering new recipes and ways to cook it! In my opinion you can’t go wrong with halibut, it tastes good no matter how you cook, what you put on it or what you dip it in. It is such a beautiful white, flaky, delicate meat.
The recipe I am sharing with you guys is halibut in a rich and creamy sauce of roasted bell pepper. It looks decadent and like it would be a pain in the tush to make, but in actuality it’s only a few ingredients and comes together very quickly. Starts off with your halibut filets cooking in a bath of butter.
Once your fish is complete remove from pan and set aside. Now you have to put together your ingredients for your roasted pepper sauce, cook it up and then return the fish to the pan. You want your sauce to completely drown your fish…..yes a fish….drowning. ha! Now all that’s left is to serve it up! My family likes to have it over warm penne pasta or toasted baguette and sprinkled with shredded cheese and green onions. yuuuummmmmmy!
- 1 Pound (at least) of Halibut Filets
- 3 Tbsp Butter, salted or unsalted is fine
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 16 oz Jar of Roasted Bell Peppers *Drain. Half the jar you will want chopped and the other half pureed in processer or blender.
- 1 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 3/4 Cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Toppings of your choice….more mozzarella, some shredded parmesan and/or green onions
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and thoroughly cook your fish over medium-high heat. This will usually take about 4 minutes on each side, but obviously this depends on how thick your filets are. You can season each side of the fish with salt and pepper as desired. I don’t like to use too much salt in any of my recipes and mainly use garlic or seasoned salt.
- Remove the fish from the skillet, cover with tinfoil to keep warm and set off to the side. Throw your onion into the buttery pan and sauté until soft.
- Put the garlic and bell peppers (both chopped and pureed) into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour in heavy cream and shredded cheese. Stir until all ingredients are fully combined and cheese is completely melted.
- Return your fish to the skillet and coat with sauce.
- Serve hot with desired toppings and enjoy!