As a busy mom of two growing young men I can always get excited about recipes that can be made in ONE pot! I have seen many different versions of this recipe and today I am going to share my families favorite rendition. The fragile tortellini in a creamy tomato sauce makes my tastes bud go crazy. SO good!
To me one pot meals are always simple to make, but when you layer quality ingredients that burst with flavor it doesn’t matter how easy it is to make, it tastes fantastic! This recipe starts by simply sautéing your onion and browning your Italian sausage.
You can make this in a large deep skillet, this time I made it in a stockpot because I doubled the recipe! Next add in all the ingredients to make your sauce and give it a good stir.
Cover, let simmer and then serve it up! We like to serve it it with garlic Texas toast and sprinkle with shredded cheese or grated parmesan.
Sounds pretty simple right? Well that’s because it is!! This recipe has become a staple in our home, hope you enjoy.
- 1 Tbs Vegetable or Olive Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Pound Ground Mild Italian Sausage
- 2 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Can (14.5 oz) of Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 3/4 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 9 oz Fresh Cheese Tortellini
- Heat your oil in skillet or stockpot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot throw in onions and sauté until soft, this will usually take about 5 minutes.
- Add the Italian sausage to the skillet, break it up and cook thoroughly. Add garlic after sausage is cooked and stir for about a minute until you can smell the garlicy aroma.
- Put all remaining ingredients into the pot, stir and bring to a boil.
- Once you have a rolling boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. You want to make sure your tortellini is nice and tender.
- Serve and enjoy!